• Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Are carbs neccessary?

HE MAN

Registered
Reaction score
Do you all think carbs are neccessary for building muscle? Or can i get by with protein and very liitle car carbs. I am already bulky thats why i am asking?

I had good success while on the Paleo diet. I used it for cutting and I kept most of my muscle while burning tons of fat. My only carbs were from fruits and veggies.

Its tough to completely cut out carbs. I know for me if I let my carb intake get to low, I get depressed and bitchy. But everyone is different and you have to find the right balance of fats,carbs and protein for you.

There are times when cutting carbs are necessary when cutting or pre-contest, on a bulk you really need them for the energy you burn when bulking as you are busting your balls to gain. When low carbing you will get tired as you don't get any real boost of energy with just low protein, so phases of low car is good but not continual.

I'm not usually in to trendy diets or exercises, but I really have been hearing good things about Paleo. HE MAN, if you're trying to lose "bulk", just cut some cals and watch your simple carb intake. For maintaining or building muscle, I'd up protein and water intake. And make sure you're getting enough fiber! Leafy greens are a great addition to any diet, as well. Good luck!

I lose significant power and drive in the gym on low to no carbs and I flatten out. No bueno for me personally.

OP - everyone's system is different. Some people are highly carb sensitive and gain weight by simply looking at them. Others can diet on 200-300 grams of carbs per day and be ripped to shreds. I have come to realize that moderate to low/no carbs works best for me when prepping for a show. I suggest you experiment with different macro intake and see what works best for you. Just like heavy, I too lose a percentage of strength when on very low carbs but when carb intake is low, I am typically in contest prep and at that point, getting ripped/shredded is my priority whereas strength is of little concern to me.

OP - everyone's system is different. Some people are highly carb sensitive and gain weight by simply looking at them. Others can diet on 200-300 grams of carbs per day and be ripped to shreds. I have come to realize that moderate to low/no carbs works best for me when prepping for a show. I suggest you experiment with different macro intake and see what works best for you. Just like heavy, I too lose a percentage of strength when on very low carbs but when carb intake is low, I am typically in contest prep and at that point, getting ripped/shredded is my priority whereas strength is of little concern to me.

Solid advice. I'm one of those guys that can look at a magazine with candy and gain 5lbs. Lol. :mad:

For endos a timed carb diet works great! Just have carbs in meal 1, pre and pwo..the rest of the meals protein and fat with no carbs.

Works great for endos that tend to gain fat easily or for anyone thats trying to grow but stay as lean as possible

^^^ Good advice right here.

Back