• Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Arnold Schwarzenegger Opened Up About Body Confidence Issues in a New Interview

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Arnold Schwarzenegger Opened Up About Body Confidence Issues in a New Interview

attachment.php

"I'd look in the mirror after I won one Mr. Olympia after another and think, 'How did this pile of shit win?'

In his Herculean pomp, Arnold Schwarzenegger's muscle-bound body was considered flawless enough to earn the titles of Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia a record-shattering 10 times.

But in a candid new interview, Schwarzenegger, 69, has revealed that he was beset by body-confidence issues at the time of competition, and that his physical anxieties still plague him to this day.

The bodybuilder turned actor told Cigar Aficionado: "When I look in the mirror, I throw up.

"And I was already so critical of myself, even when I was in top physical shape.

"I'd look in the mirror after I won one Mr. Olympia after another and think, 'How did this pile of shit win?'"

Schwarzenegger reasons that his unhealthy mental state helped him in his ascent to world domination on the bodybuilding circuit.

"I do lack confidence, but I do the reps and do them enough that the thing itself will be doable when it's time. When I was competing at bodybuilding, I did so many hours of reps—on the weights, practicing the poses—that when I got onstage, I was comfortable and confident," he said. "The more reps you do, the more you look smooth and convincing. The more you do it, the better you get. That's how you gain confidence."

Despite his impressive medal-tally and the global fame it inspired, Schwarzenegger's pursuit for perfection left him personally unfulfilled.

"I never saw perfection," he said. "There was always something lacking. I could always find a million things wrong with myself and that's what got me back into the gym, because I started out with that mentality."

You can only hope that Arnie's bravely revealing interview will compel more men to acknowledge and discuss their own body confidence issues. Because if Hercules can admit he has a problem, then anyone can.

Back