• Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Life Saving Strategies for COVID19 Complications

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Life Saving Strategies for Covid-19 Complications

NOTE: This information is mostly intended for medical professionals and scientists to assess, and decide if there’s any merits to pursue or not. I’m not a medical doctor and I don’t play one on TV but I am capable of supplying information of potential value they may not be aware of, and they can parse out what’s worth trying.

First things first: this does not represent medical advice, and under no circumstances should anyone use the information that follows in place of medical advice and treatment from a qualified medical professional as it applies to the Covid-19 virus*. What follows may be highly useful as adjuvant or complementary approaches to treatment of the most serious complications of Covid-19 along with traditional therapies in extremis medical situations due to complications from Covid-19. I fully admit the data is thin as it applies to what follows and this virus, but it follows the “first do no harm” mantra.

As I’m still forming my hypothesis here, what follows are some disjointed thinking out loud notes and comments that I will attempt to clean up and clarify as/when I can, but I felt this information needed to get out now, and those with the appropriate sci/med backgrounds could start to work with it where applicable.

Before we get to that, remember, vast majority of who get Covid-19 will be fine and experience minimal to moderate flu-like symptoms. However, as one article stated “The virus matters, but the host response matters at least as much, and probably more, “…according University of Iowa virologist Stanley Perlman, which likely explains the wide range of effects this virus has on people. That is, those in good health with a healthy immune system appear to experience minimal effects from this virus, and those with compromised immunity, and other comorbidities such as chronic smokers, hypertension, the elderly, those with pre-existing lung diseases, and so forth, can experience serious complications and even death. The life-threatening complications to Covid-19 for susceptible people “…sepsis was the most frequently observed complication, followed by respiratory failure, ARDS, heart failure, and septic shock” according to The Lancet (1) all of which have a high mortality rate.

Covid-19 specifically attacks the respiratory system – caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome – and the respiratory system is especially sensitive to damage from oxidative stress. I believe that oxidative stress is a key aspect of the most dangerous outcomes of this virus and others and emerging science supports importance of oxidative stress and cytokine dysregulation due virulent viruses (2).

Oxidative stress, what’s called a “cytokine storm,” and sepsis, are interrelated phenomena with a very over simplified model of oxidative stress -> cytokine storm -> sepsis and related sequela to Covid-19

To repeat, that’s a horrifically over generalized/simplified model, and the exact relationship between them, as well as the pathophysiology of the latter two, has not been fully elucidated. However, I’m confident that positively impacting any of the three has direct or indirect benefits to all three.

To break this down a bit, Covid-19 appears to interfere with heme iron metabolism, and that causes a major increase in oxidative stress via an increase in free iron ions “…the body will accumulate too many harmful iron ions, which will cause inflammation in the body and increase C-reactive protein and albumin. Cells react to stress due to inflammation, producing large amounts of serum ferritin to bind free iron ions to reduce damage.” (3)

Note: Testing serum ferritin appears to be “…a good first screening tool for the possibility of a cytokine storm syndrome in sick patients with high fevers.”

What causes cytokine storm syndrome? The exact mechanisms are unclear, but oxidative stress is clearly an important component and “…Covid-19 triggers in some people something called a cytokine storm, where one’s own immune system goes berserk. This ‘virus-activated’ immune response can be deadly, causing severe respiratory distress and the subsequent shutdown of multiple organs. Indeed, how one’s immune system reacts appears to be central to Covid-19′s severity.”

With cytokine storm, the immune system is unable modulate itself properly and pro inflammatory cytokines are over produced, the lungs are flooded by immune sells which attack lung tissue, and a cascade effects takes place and serious illness and death may follow. The use of the broadly immunosuppressive Corticosteroids are employed in such situations, and more targeted immune modulating drugs such a tocilizumab are being looked at now, as well as the anti-malaria drug chloroquine, and various anti-viral medications to develop a cocktail that can effectively combat this virus.

That brings us to sepsis, which is directly related to cytokine storm syndrome, but one does not always lead to the other and they’re not interchangeable syndromes. However, they share specific commonalities in how they play out via the excessive production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (such as IL-6, Il-8, IL-10, IL-18 and TNF-α)
which leads to multi organ failure if not quickly controlled. Sepsis results from the complicated interactions between the infecting bacteria or viruses and the host immune system which can “…trigger a cytokine storm, which is often detected in patients with sepsis.” (4)

Hence, the two, while technically/medically different, are directly interrelated.

I will link sources below for those who wish to see the how and why of the dots I’m attempting to connect, but make no mistake, 100% accurate or not as to the dots I’m connecting, there will be information supplied that could very likely save lives for those who experience those rare, but deadly, complications of this virus. It’s time we went outside the box of traditional treatment on this, as the mortality rate for those who experience those complications is unacceptably high and the routes by which they can be drastically reduced easy to deploy, inexpensive, and non-toxic. Again, nothing that follows is recommended in place of traditional approaches via medical care, but adjuvant to it.

While it’s probably prudent to keep ones anti-oxidant defenses up via the ingestion of key nutrients, it’s unclear what, if any benefits would be had via oral ingestion in terms of the course or severity of disease with Covid-19. IV administration of several key compounds may prove to be highly valuable however in greatly reducing the damage caused by oxidative stress, cytokine storm, and sepsis. Current recs based on available data would be an IV containing:

Vitamin C, Thiamine, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), glutathione plus Hydrocortisone if indicated by a physician. The combination of vitamin C, thiamine, and Hydrocortisone, was found to be considerably more effective for treating sepsis than Hydrocortisone alone (5) as discussed in a Physicians Weekly:

“Dr. Marik and colleagues found a hospital mortality rate of 8.5% in the treatment group, compared with a rate of 40.4% in the control group. Among patients treated with the vitamin C protocol, the propensity adjusted odds of mortality was 0.13. Sepsis-Related Organ Failure Assessment scores decreased for all patients in the treatment group, and none developed progressive organ failure. While patients treated with the vitamin C protocol were weaned off vasopressors an average of 18.3 hours after starting treatment, those in the control group had an average length of vasopressor use of 54.9 hours.” – PWeekly | Sep 26, 2018.

For those who want details on the protocol etc, a review on that topic can be found HERE as well as citation #4 below.

NAC is for elevating glutathione as glutathione is essential for immunity and combating various viruses. I will attempt to add further details on all that, but for now, I just wanted to get this info out. Below – via Dr. Jimmy Gutman – a short discussion on the value of glutathione (GSH) as it applies viral infection and literature list supplied, as well as routes of increasing GSH, such as using whey protein, is worth a read. It should be noted that some studies did not find benefits from the Vitamin C, Thiamine, Hydrocortisone therapy v (6), but I strongly suspect synergism to exist with the addition of NAC and glutathione and another study found benefits of the Vitamin C, Thiamine, Hydrocortisone combination on another known complication of Covid-19, severe pneumonia (7). Finally, it should also be noted the Chinese government recommends the use of IV vitamin C for covid-19 infections, but has used much higher doses than the studies I have cited, “…from 50 to 200 milligrams per kilogram body weight per day to as much as 200 mg/kg/day” or 4,000 to 16,000 mg for an adult.

Oral Ingestion Of Key Supplements?

As mentioned previously, whether oral ingestion of those and other compounds will assist in reducing severity, and potential for complications, if one is exposed to Covid-19 is unclear, but whey protein (as glutathione enhancer), and or NAC, vitamin C, and apo-lactoferrin, may be of value as general immune enhancement specific to viral infections. IV route is essential however if it’s as serious as sepsis, cytokine, storm, and ARDS, and must be employed – concomitant with Corticosteroids and other medications (e.g. antibiotics, vasopressors, etc.) as directed by medical professional – as early as possible. As far as other drugs and nutrients to consider, the Life Extension protocol for Covid-19 is worth a read HERE.

GLUTATHIONE AGAINST VIRAL DISEASE – A SPECIAL MESSAGE – Dr. Jimmy Gutman

Over the past few weeks, I have received numerous questions about the coronavirus and whether raising glutathione can offer some protection. For the sake of time and efficiency I have written this message. My answer is that I believe there is an very important role for glutathione in this situation, but I do not have any direct studies to prove my point. Thus far, no clinical trials have been published looking directly at the role of glutathione in the treatment or prevention of coronavirus.

Why then do I support the idea of raising glutathione as an effective strategy. It is based on the hundreds of other studies where glutathione has been shown to positively effect the outcome in numerous other viral diseases and plays an important role in the development of these infections. Doing a bit of searching on www.pubmed.gov will reveal articles on glutathione from the common cold (rhinovirus), to the “Flu” (influenza), to AIDS/HIV, hepatitis A, B, and C, DNA viruses, RNA viruses, retroviruses and more.

Back