• Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊

Bears Sign Quarterback Cutler to 7-Year Deal

ebfitness

Registered
Reaction score
By Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporters
10:30 a.m. CST, January 2, 2014

The Bears have made a long-term commitment to Jay Cutler, signing the veteran quarterback to a seven-year contract, general manager Phil Emery announced Thursday at Halas Hall.

"We're very excited to have Jay for the long term," Emery said. "He battled through the tough times and kept fighting."

Financial terms were not disclosed.

"We're pleased, it works for both parties," Emery said of the deal. "lt rewards Jay and it enables us to continue to build a championship team."

After reciting some of Cutler's 2013 statistics (2,621 yards passing, 63.1 completion percentage, 19 touchdowns, 89.2 passer rating), Emery said, "I see improvement in his ball security, distribution to his targets and a transformation in his demeanor as a leader."

Emery said Cutler's contract was "a key deal as far as how we manage our salary cap," which is why the team moved quickly.

"I think both parties wanted it to happen, which is why it was able to happen in such a short time frame," Emery said.

The team also has signed corneback Tim Jennings and left guard Matt Slauson, Emery said, adding that the majority of the work on all three contracts was done in the last three days.

Emery said the signings put the team on a "road map to go forward and win championships."

Asked about bringing back reserve quarterback Josh McCown, who will be a free agent, Emery said the Bears "would love to have Josh back. He has earned the right through his play to have choices."

In all, 28 players had contracts that will expire in March, leaving Emery and coach Marc Trestman to adjust their blueprint for how to build and overhaul the roster to improve on the season’s 8-8 record.

Emery cited positives from the season, among them resiliency as a group and players believing in/supporting one another.

"We are a team," Emery said.

Speaking of Trestman, Emery said, "I'm very happy with the transition to Marc and his staff. ... He's an excellent teacher."

Citing other positives, Emery said he feels "very good about the development of our O-line" and said he "saw Brandon Marshall take big steps toward overall leadership."

Emery also said he is “very happy and optimistic about the long-term future of the draft class.”

But he took blame for the struggles of the defense.

"We had a lot of tough days defensively,” he said. “There are no excuses for it."

"Did we have enough depth to win football games? No. … We want a physical, fast, playmaking defense. .. .I saw that in the first three games. We were creating turnovers."

Regarding defensive lineman Shea McClellin, he said: “He did not have enough impact plays."

Emery also mentioned Lance Briggs, who Wednesday expressed frustration with the Bears performance. "We share in that frustration and anger," Emery said.

As for how he plans to make things better, Emery said, "You bounce back by evaluating your team thoroughly ... and having a personal vengeance to getting it done."

After talking for about a half an hour, Emery turned the microphone over to Trestman, who expressed regret at the Bears' failure to win the NFC North but said, "I can honestly say I have never enjoyed coaching a bunch of men more than this group."

Trestman also talked about the team's defensive shortcomings.

Of McClellin, Trestman said, "Shea is capable of more, and it's our responsibility as coaches to get that out of him."

Trestman said safeties Chris Conte and Major Wright were too inconsistent, adding that "I think they would be their own worst critics."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...o-bears-emery-trestman-20140102,0,56303.story

My wife actually thought Jay Cutler (Mr Olympia) was Jay Cutler(Bears QB)...yes she is a blonde...

^^^signing Bb'er Jay Cutler prolly would have made more sense. Not sure FB Jay has 7 years left in him? They prolly could of sigjned Josh to a cheaper contract who is a better qb imo.

If my fucking Cards hadn't given Josh up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Here's to 7 years of mediocrity in Chicago! His best years, and they weren't that great, are behind him. What price can you put on a pouting sideline presence though?

7 years for a so-so QB... at least they have a starter named ... unlike my home-town Cleveland Browns where all we know is LOSING... and unpredictability!

1530356_265470980274684_1304187980_n.jpg

Back